Folder Definition in Card Templates
Document folder definition in a card template is a feature that can automatically create new folders during card creation.
Whenever you have a requirement that all documents contained by a card should be stored separately from documents created or contained by other cards, then folder definitions are the way to go in KanBo.
This feature allows you to dynamically create document folders at any hierarchical level of your document structure in your KanBo space. If you create a card template that outlines the content structure of a particular card, you can also have a new document folder created for each new card using that card template.
The name of the document folder is created dynamically based on the name of the card you are just creating. You can also configure naming elements, such as prefixes, suffixes, or card IDs.
For a better understanding of this feature, we will use the following example.
Our card template is called Job Posting. It has a document folder called Job Posting Materials. We will create two cards based on this template: Product Manager and Software Developer. Two corresponding folders are created automatically.
Create folder definition in a card template
Check how to set automatic folder definitions for new cards created using templates.
- Open the space.
- Click More (the three-dot menu button) on the top bar.
- Open Settings.
- Select Card templates.
- Select a card template that you need for the folder definition. If there is no option to choose, see how to create a new one.
- In the selected card template click + Add element.
- Select Document folder definition.
- Select the location of your new folders. You can choose from the spaces folders.
- Enter the name that will be used for this document folder after it is created during the card creation. Remember that this name is only used within the card. It is not the actual name.
- Select Add.
Done. Now when you create a new card using this template, the new empty folder will appear automatically.
Set the folder definition details
Specify details of the folder definition in a card template.
- Open the card template.
- Go to the folder definition Settings at the card template and define name details.
Here you can specify how the name of the folder created based on the folder definition will look. The name of the document folder consists of the following elements:
prefix + card name + suffix + card ID
- Specify the name prefix and suffix for the folder definition. You can leave them empty if you do not need them.
- Decide whether KanBo should append the ID of the card that is being created to the folder name or not.
Two other settings: Show max items and Allowed document templates are the same as in Document Folder.
Use automatic folder definition
Now, after you create a card using this template, a folder corresponding to that card will be created.
- Create a card using the previously edited template.
- The folder named Job Posting Materials will immediately appear on the card.
- Names of the new folders will contain previously specified suffix.
The new folders are located inside the previously selected Job Postings folder.
The folder named Software Developer January 2023 in the space documents section and Job Posting Materials folder in the card named Software Developer are the same.
Need more? Go to our guide about working with card templates.
Yes, you can configure the name of the document folder in a card template. The document folder name consists of the following elements – prefix + card name + suffix + card ID.
The purpose of the folder definition feature in card templates is to allow users to create new document folders automatically at any hierarchical level of their document structure in their space. This feature saves users time and eliminates the need to create folders manually.
Was this article helpful?
Please, contact us if you have any additional questions.