Folder Definition in Card Templates
Document folder definition in a card template is a feature that can create new folders automatically while card creation.
Whenever you have a requirement that all documents contained by a card should be stored separately from documents created or contained by other cards, then folder definitions is the way to go in KanBo.
This Functionality allows you to dynamically create document folders at any hierarchical level of your Document Structure in your KanBo Board. When you create a card template that outlines the content structure of a particular card, you can also have a new document folder created for every new card using that card template.
The name of the document folder will be dynamically built based on the name of the card you are just creating. You can configure other name elements too, like prefix, sufix or card ID.
For better understanding of this feature, we will use the following example.
Our card template is named Job Posting. It has a document folder Job Posting Materials. We will create two cards based on this template: Product Manager and Software Developer. Two corresponding folders will be created automatically.
Create folder definition in a card template
Check how to set automatic folder definition for new cards created using templates.
- Press more (three dots) at a Board.
- Open Settings.
- Select Card templates.
- Choose a card template you need for the folder definition. If there is no option to choose, see how to create a new one.
- In selected card template press + Add element.
- Select Document folder definition.
- Select the location of your new folders. You can choose from the Boards folders.
- Enter the name that will be used for this document folder after it will be created during the card creation. Remember that this name will be used only inside the card. It is not its actual name.
- Select Add.
Done. Now after creating a new card using this template the new empty folder will appear automatically.
Set the folder definition details
Specify details of the folder definition in a card template.
- Go to the folder definition Settings at the card template and define name details.
Here you can define how the name of the folder created based on the folder definition will look like. The name of the document folder consists of the following elements:
prefix + name of the card + suffix + card ID
- Set folder definition name prefix and suffix. You can leave it empty if you do not need them.
- Decide whether KanBo should append the ID of the card that is being created to the folder name or not.
Two other settings: Show max items and Allowed document templates are the same as in Document Folder.
Use automatic folder definition
Now after creating a card using this template, a folder corresponding to that card will be created.
- Create a card using the previously edited template.
- The folder named Job Posting Materials will immediately appear in the card.
- Names of the new folders will contain previously specified sufix.
The new folders are located inside the earlier selected folder Job Postings.
Folder named Software Developer January 2023 in Board documents section and Job Posting Materials folder in the card named Software Developer are in fact the same folder.
Need more? Go to our guide about working with card templates.
Can I configure the name of the document folder in card templates?
Yes, you can configure the name of the document folder in a card template. The name of the document folder consists of the following elements – prefix + name of the card + suffix + card ID.
What is the purpose of the folder definition feature in card templates?
The purpose of the folder definition feature in card templates is to allow users to create new document folders automatically at any hierarchical level of their document structure in their board. This feature saves users time and eliminates the need to create folders manually.
Was this article helpful?
Please, contact us if you have any additional questions.